Monday, April 21, 2014

Scrapbook Monday: Sweet Little Turtle Face

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend. We had a lovely weekend outside since the weather was perfect. I'll post some pictures of Addie in her Easter dress in a few days. For now, I wanted to share a recent scrapbook page made with a Studio Calico kit. I absolutely loved the colors in this kit, with the teals, pinks, and greens. My favorite part though? Definitely has to be the little fawn.

I'd been wanting to scrapbook Addie's turtle face for awhile now, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity, since the colors of the papers seemed to match her pajamas nicely. She did this little face a lot when she was 2-3 months old, but we haven't seen it much since then. The combination of her pointy little lip and the crossed eyes made me giggle every time.

The Sweet Little Turtle Face:



I added a bit of zig-zag stitching to the page along the bottom, on either side of the two square cards, and on the upper right. I also added some epoxy hears and circles in coordinating teal, pink and gold colors. "The" and "sweet little" in the title are stickers. 


For "turtle face", I used my Silhouette die cutting machine to created a custom title. I used one of my favorite script fonts, and simply typed it out, and cut around the outside of each letter. The Silhouette is amazing. If you haven't tried one, you should. I used to have a hand-cranked die cutting machine, and this is so much easier! And you don't have to buy $20 dies that you may not use again. Instead, you can go to their online shop and purchase various designs for $0.99. You can also create your own custom titles such as this by simply typing your text in your favorite font. 

For an example of a design I purchased from the Silhouette shop, see the Love You to the Moon and Back post.


After placing the cutout on the page, I realized that using a white patterned card stock made it difficult to see, so I did two things. First (which is more obvious), I placed a darker strip of paper behind it to give it some contrast. Secondly (and more subtle), I used one of my favorite techniques. I used Glossy Accents from Ranger, to create a glossy, raised effect. While it was still wet, I added white glitter, then shook off the extra. I then let it dry. The result is a gelled, epoxy-like accent with a 3D effect, and a shimmery/glittery appearance. So simple. 

Since the letters were quite thin and difficult to glue in place, I used my sewing machine instead, adding another line of zig-zag stitching. 

 

Hope you found an inspirational idea from this page, whether it's the layout or the glossy title. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment